Getting to Virgin Gorda BVI
With direct flights and options in ferries, water taxis and private charters,
travelling to Virgin Gorda is easier than you think.
Anyone who is lucky enough to visit beautiful Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands will tell you it’s a destination well worth the journey from anywhere in the world. Come, disconnect, relax and enjoy this treasure of a Caribbean island in one of our luxury villa rentals along the bays of Leverick, Mahoe and Nail, The Baths and Princess Quarters.
We can’t wait to see you here. Use the following guide to identify the best routes and resources to ensure the quickest, most convenient, and pleasant trip.
*Please note; schedules, routes and other travel details are subject to change without notice.
The airports in the British Virgin Islands are (EIS) Beef Island, Tortola, and (VIJ) Taddy Bay Airport in Virgin Gorda.
Non-Stop From Miami, FL, USA
American Airlines offers non-stop service daily from Miami (MIA), Florida to and from Beef Island Tortola (EIS), British Virgin Islands. Starting November 1, 2023, the airline is increasing service to two flights per day to the island. A third flight will also be available this winter on Saturdays from December 20 through April 13.
(Visit AA.com for schedules and updates.)
Direct Flights to the BVI & Virgin Gorda
There are many direct flights to get to the British Virgin Islands (BVI) and to Virgin Gorda connecting through San Juan, Saint Maarten, Santo Domingo, and Antigua. Visitors to the BVI have several travel options.
- Via St. Thomas (STT) & San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU) – Popular route coming from North America (Flights operated by most major US carriers available.)
- Via St. Maarten (SXM) – Popular for Europeans and a potential route for North Americans.
- Via Santo Domingo (SDQ) – Convenient route from many international gateways.
- Via Antigua (ANU) – Convenient route from many European countries.
Once you get to these convenient travel hubs, Virgin Gorda is just a short flight, helicopter, ferry or water taxi away.
From San Juan (SJU) to Virgin Gorda
A mainstay of BVI air travel, Cape Air provides multiple, conveniently scheduled daily non-stop flights from San Juan to Virgin Gorda. The airline operates Britten Norman Islander BN-2 planes and round-trip and one-way value and refundable fare types are available.
The North American and Caribbean-based Tradewind Aviation now offers multiple round-trip non-stop flight services between San Juan and Virgin Gorda on Sundays, Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, with additional flights during holiday periods. Its fleet features modern turbine-powered Pilatus PC-12 aircraft with complimentary onboard drinks, snacks, wine and beer, access to a private lounge, VIP experiences and interline ticketing and baggage agreements with major airlines.
Travellers to Virgin Gorda can book a private charter on Island Birds, VGVR’s preferred charter operator, scheduled at your convenience with VIP service from your arrival gate to the island. Additional charters are available from Fly BVI and Tradewind Aviation from San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Antigua.
Connecting through Beef Island Tortola (EIS), travelers can take any of the following flights:
From San Juan (SJU)
Airlines: Air Sunshine, Cape Air, InterCaribbean Airways, and Silver Airways.
Note: Silver Airways and Cape Air have code share or interline agreements with many of the major US carriers, including American, Delta, Jet Blue, United and Vieques Air Link. These partnerships mean luggage is tagged directly to the BVI and is easily transferred to the connecting flight in San Juan on route to the BVI.
From Antigua (ANU)
Airlines: InterCaribbean Airways, LIAT, Winair
Note: LIAT has a code share agreement with Virgin Atlantic and Interline agreement with Jet Blue Airways. InterCaribbean has an interline agreement with British Airways.
From Santo Domingo (SDQ)
Airlines: Connect on InterCaribbean Airways
Upon arrival at Beef Island Tortola, Virgin Gorda is a short ferry ride away.
BVI Ferry Service & Private Water Taxis
Taking the ferry or a private water taxi to Virgin Gorda is one of the most pleasurable ways to travel between islands. There are plenty of options depending on your itinerary. Please consult ferry schedules prior to arrival, and feel free to utilize your complimentary VGVR concierge service for assistance guiding you to our destination.
Ferry Service Between St. Thomas (STT) and BVI
- Road Town Fast Ferry: Service between Road Town BVI and Charlotte Amalie St. Thomas.
- Smithsferry: Service between Road Town BVI and Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas.
- Native Son: Service between Road Town BVI and Charlotte Amalie St. Thomas.
- Aquatic Rentals VI: Service between BVI and Red Hook, St Thomas (daily, except Wednesdays).
- Speedy’s Ferries: Service between Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda and Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas (Saturdays Only).
Note: The first ferry leaves the BVI for St. Thomas (Charlotte Amalie) at 7:30am from Road Town. The last ferries leave for the BVI from St. Thomas (Charlotte Amalie) at 5:30 pm and from St. Thomas (Red Hook) at 6:00 pm.
Below is a list of our preferred water taxi operators:
From St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda:
From Beef Island, Tortola to Virgin Gorda;
- Captain Benu, Tel: 284-541-2257
- Captain Shaggy, Tel: 284-541-3622
Ferry Service Between Virgin Gorda and Tortola and Beef Island
- Speedy’s Ferries – Service between Virgin Gorda and Tortola (Road Town and Beef Island): Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda to Beef Island, Tortola.
- Sensation Ferries – Service between Virgin Gorda and Tortola (Road Town).
Note: The first ferry departs at 6 am, and the last ferry departs at 8 pm. From Beef Island, Tortola to Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda: 6:30 am /9:00 pm.
- There is an environmental levy of $10 per person payable in USD at the port of entry upon arrival.
- For those travelling to the BVI by private charter, there is an airport departure tax of $50.00 pp in Beef Island and $35 pp in Virgin Gorda payable at the airport.
Virgin Gorda, BVI Travel Resources
Use the following links to find additional information to help in planning your trip to the British Virgin Islands. Feel free to contact us at any time with your questions or to request assistance prior to or during your travels. Our concierge team is on island and standing by to help you.